How To Accessory Building

How to Submit a Building Permit for an Accessory Building

A building permit is required for building an accessory building for your home. Applications can be printed from the city’s website, or printed applications can be picked up from City Hall during normal business hours.

  • Before filling out the building permit, please familiarize yourself with Zoning Ordinance Section 13 – R-1 Single and Two Family Residential District.
    • Key Points:
      • Properties may not contain more than three accessory buildings.
      • Sheds under 200 square feet do not require a building permit, but do need to meet city ordinances.
      • Detached accessory buildings may not occupy in total more than 25% of your property. Knowing your property lines and total square footage of your lot is necessary to determine the potential size of your accessory building.
    • If you are demolishing an existing accessory building, a separate building permit must be filed for the demolition in addition to any building permits needed for construction. Fill out the Description of Work line (Demolition).
    • When filling out the building permit application, please keep the following in mind.
      • Be sure to include your phone number.
      • If you are doing the work yourself, write Self on the Contractor line.
      • You will need to answer a few questions regarding your lot dimensions. The City of Foley does not keep track of property lines, but staff can offer advice on how you can find them.
      • Write in the type of construction and other materials used.
      • Fill out the Description of Work line (Shed or Accessory Building, Demolition)
      • Please write in the Value of the Work, including cost of labor if you are hiring a contractor.
      • Sign and date the application at the bottom.
    • Other Required Documents:
      • Site Map – Along with your application, you will need to provide a site map (a simple drawing) that shows the planned accessory building’s location. The site map should also show property lines, other buildings on the property, and roads.
    • Submit your building permit application, site map, and materials list to City Hall. The Building Official will call you in about a week to approve your permit. In some cases, the Building Official may have additional questions.
    • Cost – The cost of the permit is based on the overall value of the project. For more information see our Fee Schedule. City Hall accepts cash, check or credit card for payment.

For more information: