How to Submit a Building Permit for a Deck
A building permit is required for building a deck for your home. Applications can be printed from the city’s website, or printed applications can be picked up from City Hall during normal business hours.
- When filling out the building permit application, please keep the following in mind.
- Be sure to include your phone number.
- If you are doing the work yourself, write Self on the Contractor line.
- You will need to answer a few questions regarding your lot dimensions. The City of Foley does not keep track of property lines, but staff can offer advice on how you can find them.
- Write in the type of construction and other materials used.
- Fill out the Description of Work line (Building A Deck)
- Please write in the Value of the Work, including cost of labor if you are hiring a contractor.
- Sign and date the application at the bottom.
- Other Required Documents:
- Site Map – Along with your application, you will need to provide a site map (a simple drawing) that shows the deck and what side of the house it will be built on. The site map should also show property lines, other buildings on the property, and roads.
- Construction Plan – Instructions on how it will be built along with a materials list.
- Submit your building permit application, site map, and construction plan with a materials list to City Hall. The Building Official will call you in about a week to approve your permit. In some cases, the Building Official may have additional questions.
- Cost – The cost of the permit is based on the overall value of the project. For more information see our Fee Schedule. City Hall accepts cash, check or credit card for payment.
For more information:
- Zoning Ordinance Section 13 – R-1 Single and Two Family Residential District
- Residential Decks and the 2020 Minnesota Residential Code
- Gopher State One Call
- 800-252-1166 or 811