How To Submit a Building Permit for a Fence
A building permit is required for building a fence for your home or business. Applications can be printed from the city’s website, or a printed application can be picked up from City Hall during normal business hours.
- When filling out the building permit application, please keep the following in mind.
- Be sure to include your phone number.
- If you are doing the work yourself, write Self on the Contractor line.
- You will need to answer a few questions regarding your lot dimensions. The City of Foley does not keep track of property lines, but staff can offer advice on how you can find them.
- Write in the type of construction used (e.g. wood, chain link…etc…)
- Fill out the Description of Work line (Building A Fence)
- Please write in the Value of the Work, including cost of labor if you are hiring a contractor.
- Sign and date the application at the bottom.
- Other Required Documents:
- Site Map – Along with your application, you will need to provide a site map (a simple drawing) that shows the fence in relationship to property lines, distance from buildings on the property and roads.
- Written Permission – You will also need written permission signed by your neighbors (anyone sharing your property line) if you are planning to build your fence directly on top of the property line. The written permission must include a printed name and signature, the neighbor’s property address, and phone number. If you are not building directly on top of the property line, you will need to have a setback of at least two feet.
- Submit your building permit application, site map, and written permissions (if required) to City Hall. The Building Official will call you in about a week to approve your permit. In some cases, the Building Official may have additional questions.
- Cost – The cost of the permit is based on the Value of the Work. For more information, see our Fee Schedule. City Hall accepts cash, check, or credit card for payment.
- Zoning Ordinance Section 6 – Fences
- Zoning Ordinance Section 13 – R-1 Single and Two Family Residential District
- Gopher State One Call
- 800-252-1166 or 811